Cracking Cup Tie ends all square

Tommy McGowan and Phil Cassidy returned in the centre of the park after recovering from injury. Dean Lukeman made another start as he returned to fitness after 4 months out the game. Kieran Fitzgerald was named amongst the substitutes after missing the last two matches.

Former Town favourite, Aaron King lined up for the hosts, however his brother Simon missed the match following a recent red card.

The ground staff at Winslow had worked hard during the day to get the match on. Compared with the recent matches, the temperature was a barmy 4 degrees centigrade.

Town nearly went behind in the 2nd minute when Sean Coles got through the town defence. Cerga saving well as the strike bore down on goal.

The game was being played at tremendous pace especially if you took into account the heavy pitch

James Harrison was through on goal in the 13th minute but the keeper smothered the young strikers shot with his legs.

Seconds later and Adam Moussi made a dangerous cross which was cut out and lead to a Winslow break. Dan Parsons was unlucky to see the ball strike the inside of the post and bounce across the front of the goal before being cleared to safety.

Straight to the other end, and Adam Moussi had a shot from edge of the box but their big keeper took it under the bar on 18.

An excellent turn from Sam Jackson and he won a free kick 40 yards out. From the free kick, Town won a corner when Creaney’s ball in was met by Adam Moussi but his header was scrambled off the line when it looked certain to be forced home.

So close for Town in the 39th minute. James Harrison took down a Cerga goal kick and used his strength  to take the ball down the right wing. His cross from the right found Phil Cassidy. He pulls the ball back for Creaney who took two touches before getting his shot in. Young White again got down well to save.

Aaron King got his first shot on target in the 42nd minute however Iustin Cerga was equal to it.

HT: Winslow United 0 Daventry Town 0

Sam Jackson had an early chance in the second half as his pace got him clear on the left wing. As he came in from the left, the ball bobbled just as he shot and the ball went over the bar.

Adam Creaney made a superb pass to put James Harrison through in the 57th minute however the young striker just knocked the ball wide of the goal under pressure from the man of the match Bobby White.

The official, who had been excellent up to this stage, then issued 4 cards in as many minutes, Cassidy and Childs for fouls before Aaron King got his name in the book for kicking the ball away. Some things never change.

More pressure from Town resulted in Sam Jackson firing one just over the bar and Cassidy with a shot from the edge of the box well held again by Wright.

Jordan Orosz came on with 10 minutes to go and he used his pace to find substitute Kieran Fitzgerald on the edge of the box. He just reached the ball first before a defender dived in and brought the South African down.

Adam Moussi took the kick however Wright guessed right and dived to his left to push the ball away before the ball was eventually cleared.

Town piled on the pressure with 3 corners from alternate sides with Creaney taking all of them. Captain Ross Harris got a head on two of them with one headed off the line.

FT: Winslow United 0 Daventry Town 0

For a 0 0 this was a great advert for the game, bags of pace, no lack of skill despite a very heavy pitch, end to end & 100% commitment from both sets of lads.

News on the second leg will be announced soon. It will be a Thursday night at Elderstubbs with Winslow having all their Tuesdays booked until the end of the season.