Harborough Town FC vs Daventry Town FC

Creaney's classy finish worth 3 points as rivals slip up.


Harborough Town FC



Daventry Town


December 8, 2018 | 3:00 pm
The HTFC Community Ground

Match Report

Kieran Fitzgerald and Tom McGowan served the final match of their suspensions whilst Phil Cassidy was also absent after collecting his 5th caution of the season in the 4 0 victory at ON Chenecks last weekend. Greg Anayiotos came in for Jordan Orosz who suffered a knee injury in the 6 1 hiding inflicted upon Eynesbury Rovers in the League Cup.

With the match being played on Harborough’s new artificial surface, the host’s home record was better than their 14th place in the table suggests, having only dropped points against Pinchbeck United. Ross Harris made his 100th start in Town’s colours joining Arron Parkinson, Adam Confue, Phil Cassidy Adam Creaney and Dan Childs of the current squad who have completed over a century of appearances.

Prior to the match, there was a one minutes silence following the recent passing of UCL Chairman John Weeks.

Town won the toss and elected to play into a very strong wind and the sun was shining directly towards keeper Iustin Cerga making visibility a real issue

Town settled well and Dean Lukeman created the first chance after winning the ball back in the corner. He picks out Emery whose effort was pulled just wide of the post after just 7 minutes.

The opening goal came in the 13th minute when Taylor Orosz broke through the Harborough defence however keeper Glen Giles blocked his effort with his legs. The ball eventually fell to Creaney on the edge of the penalty area. With the defence now all back, ADAM CREANEY picked his spot perfectly, chipping the ball into the far top corner of the goal.

Luke Emery appeared to have brought down on the half hour when his ankles appeared to be clipped as prepared to round the keeper however the officials didn’t agree.

Cerga was called into action twice in the first half, saving a long range effort from Callum Steer at full length after it zipped off the surface and another misplaced cross which caught the wind and the Moldovan did well to tip it over the bar.

Luke Emery was unlucky to see his effort go just wide after another exquisite 7 iron chip in to box by Creaney who had put him through.

Town had the better of the chances and Harborough had shown that playing with the wind was far from easy with a number of misplaced passes.

HT: Harborough Town 0 Daventry Town 1

Dean Lukeman was replaced by Bayley Lewis at halftime after feeling a slight reoccurrence of the hamstring injury which has kept him out recently.

Harborough created their best chance shortly after the break with Arron Preston getting around Cerga but Captain Ross Harris was there to clear away the danger.

News came through of second placed Rugby Town taking the lead at home to fourth placed Deeping Rangers.

Cerga again made a quality stop from a long range effort from Preston and the hosts started to make their mark on the game.

Adam Confue so nearly extended Town’s lead when he turned in the box and rifled a goal bound shot which was deflected just over the bar.

Taylor Orosz managed to break through the defence again but his chip over the keeper was clawed away as the keeper went down.

The skies blackened shortly afterwards and the rain lashed down sending supporters scurrying for cover in the stands. The now swirly wind also picked up making football almost impossible.

The storm passed over shortly before the end of the match, Adam Confue had a long range effort which went just over the bar then Luke Emery has a shot well saved by the keeper.

As the match came to a conclusion, Town fans were celebrating in the stand as the news that Deeping Rangers had snatched a late equaliser at Rugby Town filtered through.

There was one final scare as Harborough appealed in vain after a shot was blocked in the box but the referee rightly awarded a corner which was cleared without danger.

FT: Harborough Town 0 Daventry Town 1

Town completed their 7 successive away win in the UCL, moving 12 points clear of second placed Rugby Town and 15 clear of third placed Holbeach United.

If Jordan Orosz can recover for next week’s home match with Wellingborough Town, the team will return to full strength with Cassidy, Fitzgerald and McGowan all having completed their suspensions.

The following weeks sees Kirby Muxloe visit Elderstubbs before the much awaited trip to Rugby Town on Boxing Day for a 3pm kick off.



Harborough Town FCLoss
Daventry TownWin


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 8, 2018 3:00 pm United Counties League 2019 90'


The HTFC Community Ground
Unnamed Road, Market Harborough LE16 9LA, UK