Desborough Town FC vs Daventry Town FC

Two Goal Win At Desborough


Desborough Town FC



Daventry Town


March 9, 2019 | 3:00 pm

Match Report

A windy Saturday afternoon outing saw us take maximum points thanks to a Dean Lukeman-inspired display at Desborough Town. The ever present left-back was at the centre of almost everything we produced attacking-wise at Waterworks Field.

The decisive goal came shortly on the seventy minute mark as we pressed home the advantage following a tap in from Kieran Fitzgerald, after twenty minutes, securing a comfortable 2-0 victory.

The pre-match discussion centred around us not being without our talismanic striker – top goalscorer Luke Emery who started the first of his two game ban – but it was another forward, Fitzgerald, who gave us the lead in a half that offered plenty of clear chances for either side.

The Arn Tarn had enjoyed more of the possession in the first 10 minutes but we soon began to impose ourselves on the game, with Adam Confue instrumental to our first play as we sought to break down a packed defence. The midfielder sent Creaney clean through on goal, but the attacker’s first touch let him down, and Chris Jones rushed of his line to save well.

Confue’s stylish play around the middle of the park was a constant thorn in Desborough’s side. Two clear shooting chances came back-to-back for the hosts as Jake Bettles cross found the experienced Jason Turner, but his effort was parried by Lustin Cerga on 19 minutes. Luke Stevens pounced on the stray ball only to be denied by a diving Cerga, but we managed to find the breakthrough straight from the counter attack.

Lukeman burst onto the cleared ball on the left channel, possession eventually came to Adam Creaney tight to the touchline and his low cross beat everyone for Fitzgerald to slot home from a few yards out. Another thorn to Desborough’s side was Lukeman who almost worked a shooting chance after a give-and-go with Creaney in the tightest of spaces inside the box, just before the break, only to be robbed at the last second by Leo Adams.

Lewis Leslie had pinged some useful balls over the top for Desborough but they couldn’t take advantage. The hosts did manage to test Cerga in the second half, and the keeper survived been beating twice from Aaron Davies and Stevens. Davies somehow fired over from a corner under the cross bar, on 51 minutes, and Lukeman was the hero as he cleared Steven’s effort off the line after he rounded Cerga twelve minutes later.

We doubled our lead on 73 minutes as Taylor Orosz brought up his 24th goal of the season, with Lukeman crossing from the left side of the box, Orosz came in with a half volley and goalkeeper Jones was left sprawling in his net as the ball flew in.

The Purple Army saw out the game comfortably, and increasing their lead at the summit to ten points as Rugby Town could only manage a late penalty in a 1-1 draw, hosting Pinchbeck United.

Desborough: Jones, Bradshaw, Boath (Matthews 82), Davies (c), Adam, White, Leslie, Arnold (Bassey 79), Turner, Bettles, Stevens. Substitutes (not used): Sartain.

Town: Cerga, Merrill, Lukeman, Harris (c), Alexander, Confue (Childs 85), Fitzgerald, Cassidy, Orosz (Jackson 79), Stanbridge, Creaney (Anayiotos 90). Substitutes (not used): Pryke, Finlay.

Goals: Town – Fitzgerald (20), Orosz (73).

Yellow Cards: Desborough – Adams (66); Town – Confue (80).




Desborough Town FCLoss
Daventry TownWin


Date Time League Season Full Time
March 9, 2019 3:00 pm United Counties League 2019 90'


66 Braybrooke Rd, Desborough, Kettering NN14 2LJ, UK